Friday, September 28, 2007

Poem
























My Blessing...
A blessing fell from heaven
and rested in my womb
Then God reached down his finger
and caused this flower to bloom.
In growing and in forming
He moved his hand there still,
shaping His creation
according to His will.
To me it isn't evident,
No, I'm not yet aware,
but somewhere deep inside me
my firstborn child is there.
I'm not conscious of this miracle,
but very soon I'll be.
I'll know that God has blessed my life,
To lend this life to me.

Written by: Alina C. R.

The poem above is one I wrote for a lady in our church for her baby shower memory book...but it's written out of experience seeing that I am pregnant with my second child.
Also above is a Victorian era painting by Bessie Pease Gutmann called "My Darling". I absolutely love the beautiful collection of artwork she produced.
Victorian art itself has a georgeous feel to it anyway. I will be finding more beautiful illustrations and photos to post and share with you.

Here is a Victorian era recipe for you to try...

SHORTBREAD TARTS
1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch

In the bowl of your mixer cream the butter and sugar together. Add the flour and cornstarch and mix until incorporated. Refrigerate dough for about one hour. Divide dough into 24 pieces (20 grams) and using tiny muffin tins (approximately 1 l/2 " diameter) that have been very lightly sprayed with Pam, pat dough into tins using your fingers to form shells. Prick the bottoms with a fork and chill in freezer for 10 minutes.

Bake for approximately 18 minutes at 325 degrees or until light brown in color. During baking time, prick bottoms again if the shells puff up. Cool tarts in pan on racks. When cool remove tarts from pan by using a sharp knife. These are quite fragile so be careful when removing. (These may be made in large quantities and frozen.)

CREAM CHEESE FILLING
1 8-oz. package cream cheese - softened
1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In food processor or electric mixer beat cream cheese until fluffly. Add milk, then lemon juice and vanilla. Process until smooth. Fill tart shells with cream cheese filling and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend. Just before serving top with fresh cut up strawberries, kiwis, etc. Makes 24 mini tarts. The tart shells can be made ahead and frozen.

The cream filling can be refrigerated for 4-5 days.

No comments: